Thursday 30 April 2009

Barbecued Lamb

Barbecued lamb is to die for. Charred, smokey and juicy pink, it is hard to beat. More often than not it gets overcooked to a gruel like grey. But the joy of the BBQ is that the meat gets charred and stays pink at the same time.

For our first BBQ of the year we decided to splash out on a 3kg boned leg of lamb from Chadwick's in Balham. It had to be massive in order to feed around a dozen hungry mouthes. The meat was dark, dry and smelt of a life well lived. We stuffed and marinated the meat overnight in a balsamic vinegar, garlic, orange zest, oregano, rosemary, thyme, anchovies and olive oil having got some inspiration from Waitrose.com.

Lamb marinating

We let the coals die down and spread them around the periphery of the BBQ in order to limit the singe factor. I layed the meat on the grill flesh side down for a few minutes before turning it over onto the side covered in skin and fat. We left it this way up for the next 40 minutes whilst salivating and wincing at the smell of our amazing lamb. And after 45 minutes we were left with pink, smoky, mind blowing lamb that made me want to do a mini lap of honour.

Lamb

Served with some new potatoes from the Clapham Farmers Market and a Cowie classic roasted veg it was as close to my perfect meal as it gets. When you've got meat from a good butcher and veg from a proper farmer it really is hard to beat.

11 comments:

Le laquet said...

BBQ'd lamb would probably be on my "last meal on earth" list of needs - looks blinding!

Browners said...

A death row dish. That would be a good concept for a blog.

The Ample Cook said...

Lambtastic!

Cooked to perfection. Yum.

Helen Yuet Ling Pang said...

You two eat sooo well! I think I love lamb ever so slightly more than I love beef. I hope I'm allowed to BBQ lamb once we get the BBQ and clean it up (husband is vegetarian and keen for me to keep it meat-free!)

Browners said...

@The Ample Cook - "Lambtastic" is now one of my favourite phrases!

@Helen YP - I think I might agree. Lamb is very special. Make sure you don't let your husband's vegetarianism stand in the way of your love of meat.

Hollow Legs said...

That looks delicious! I need to do a hunk o' meat on the bbq, but my love of kebabs / burgers / fishy things always gets in the way.

Mike said...

That looks mouth wateringly stunning...!

Mike

A Girl Has To Eat said...

Oh this looks delish!

Mark Dredge said...

You got that spot on - good meat and good veg is just so hard to beat, and you don't need to do anything to it apart from cook it perfectly. This looks great!

Ollie said...

Stunning. Nothing more to say.

Browners said...

@Lizzie - there's no reason we can't have both is there? Full on leg of lamb... plus some nice light girly kebabs for starters.

@Mike - thanks. It was delicious.

@A Girl Has To Eat - thanks. I adore lamb like this.

@Mark - It's all about proper meat and veg. You can't go too far wrong.

@Ollie - many thanks.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin