My Mum is a genius in the garden and writes wonderful gardening and cookery books. But I would say that wouldn't I! I remember when I was at school she was writing The Edible Flower Garden.
I would come back from school and be used as a guinea pig trying all sorts of floral treats such as this delicious rose petal cake is a winner. I've never seen it go down badly!
And better still Mum's incredible Ice Bowl... I haven't got a copy of Mum's book with me so I have had to steal the recipe from RecipeZaar... just hope Mum forgives me!
Here's how you make it thanks to RecipeZaar...
1. Fill a metal or ceramic bowl 3/4 full with water and the flower petals.
2. Place a smaller bowl inside the first bowl and anchor with duct tape to keep it centered.
3. Freeze bowls overnight.
4. When ready to serve, remove duct tape and the small bowl.
5. If you happen to have a blow torch, flash the larger bowl to release the finished ice bowl-- but don't worry, room temperature will release the bowl in 10-15 minutes.
6. Fill with something colorful and yummy and serve!
It looks stunning when full of ice cream or a nice gazpacho. Although you've got to eat it quickly! It is certainly a good conversations starter.
Mum is having great fun teaming up with Master Chef's brilliant country cook Hannah Miles dreaming up new flowery recipes and generally getting very enthusiastic about cooking with beautiful flowers. This is the link to Hannah's demonstration from last weekend.
Here's the link to Mum's garden where we have regular garden openings throughout the summer. The next one is on July 29th.
Darth Vader Chocolate Cupcakes
1 day ago