Monday 1 September 2008

Smoked Trout

Cowie is such a hero. She puts up with a lot from me. She very kindly gave me a smoker for Christmas and it has taken me the best part of 9 months to let it loose! But it was seriously worth the wait and effort.

First of all I carried it back over Christmas to Bedford on the train along with loads of other things. Then I brought it back to London. Then I moved house and took it to Cowie's house. Then I took it to work so I could then take it on the train to Somerset. On each occasion the trains couldn't have been busier.

So it was quite a momentous moment to fire up the badger and smoke the living daylights out of two unsuspecting rainbow trout whilst camping in North Devon.

Although we found it nearly impossible to get the burners alight we somehow managed to generate enough smoke to transform these two beauties...

Trout to be smoked

into gorgeous, warm, smokey fish...

2 Smoked Trout

The flesh was so delicious and a lot more subtle than the smoked salmon and mackerel you get in supermarkets. It's also a real treat to eat it greedily with your fingers straight from the smoker. There's something very back to basics about the whole thing. Next weekend we are going to smoke some mackerel form Lyme Regis. And I can't wait!

4 comments:

Leigh said...

There's nothing quite like fish, cooked simply, is there? That looks seriously good.

Browners said...

I have fallen in love with smoking! I can't wait to try out some different variations.

Fish is best at its simplest and better still if it is barely cooked at all.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Wow - how fab. Certainly looks the biz...

Browners said...

Tastes fantastic... and it is so so so easy. I can't recommend home smoking enough.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin